Starting Point

 



For this project, I have decided to focus on Women that work, this has provide difficult in the pandemic. In the UK you can photograph people outside without the need of consent. In the UK lock-down has meant that non-essential shops closed and people working from home.  As the lock-down lifted I have approached Coventry Market to photograph women store holders. 

Photographing women in a place of work, a consent form is required. As I wanted to find out about the people I photographed, I had to ensure I had a consent form for this project as well as Public liability insurance. If you are with Artist network or Curator Space or something similar you will be covered by this.

Thankfully I received an introduction to the store holders and plan on going back to photograph and speak to them to build up a relationship. This may not be possible with all sitters for this project.

The women I have met, are all small business owners.
Lisa

 Rachel

 Mali




During the lockdown it got tough for many workers to earn a minimum wage, especially the labor class. With the situation going around, house workers also known as " the maid" in many countries, also who are usually women, caught my attention. initially for the project i wanted to capture house bound women but women working was a much more interesting approach. it began with a series of photographing my own house help. 




                                                        




"Safia", one of the kitchen staff member working during the pandemic, above are an example of images taken, during which i was reading about iconographic images and how they were used in history to highlight important personalities. 




The above is the outcome of the series of photography, still under process, the painting titled "Safia" highlights the importance of a working women, underpaid domestic worker, the unseen workforce that keeps the visible workforce fed, clothed and able, I specifically used the halo behind her head for that purpose. 







Comments

Popular Posts